Wednesday, November 30, 2011
Friday, November 18, 2011
Ok, so I came up with an idea to do a show where I give away 40 gifts! It is in the works and you don't want to miss it! My first Holiday give-a-way show is fast approaching...on Wednesday, December 14th at noon! Any companies that would like to participate please contact me for all the details. I am so excited to see how big I can make this and hopefully make this an annual tradition! Wish me luck...and all those who might win gifts! :)
Wednesday, November 16, 2011
Secret Compartment Books
by Wendy Switzer
Time to complete: 3-4 hours
- Used Book or a dollar store book - 1"-2" thick
- Craft blade
- Mod Podge
- Foam brushes
- Decorative paper
- Coordinating Embellishments
- Strong Clamps of any kind - 4 small and 4 XL
- Paper cutter
- Magnet or velcro
- Pencil & ruler
- Decide how many pages you would like to have left in tact. Secure those to the front cover using a few small clamps.
- Use XL clamps to hold the remaining pages together and glue together the edges using mod podge and a foam brush. Wait for it to dry completely...30-60 minutes and repeat this step about 3 times.
- Once your pages are dry, measure 1" away from each edge and use a pencil to create a rectangle on the first page of your base (the glued together pages). Using chipboard, make a template the same size as the rectangle on your page.
- Use the chipboard rectangle, and craft blade, to begin cutting away the insides of your pages. This takes a while to cut away the insides. Usually you can only cut through about 6-8 pages at a time.
- Once you have reached the desired depth in cutting away the pages, use a glue gun or other strong glue to secure the last page to the back inside cover of the book.
- When the back cover is completely secured, paint the inside cut edges with mod podge to seal them. This step may be repeated as many times as necessary. You can also cut pieces of chipboard or felt to glue along the inside edges and bottom to give it a nicer look.
- Add a magnet, velcro or tied ribbon to prevent items from falling out of the book when closed.
- Next decorate the outside with with paper, ribbon, embellishments, etc. to complete the look desired.
- Book can be used to hide things in or can be used as a shadow box display on an easel.
Use old phone books...I used two different sizes to create this secret compartment...